Saturday, September 16, 2006

Swiss Alps






Breathtaking.....
That's about the only word I can conjure up to describe the scenery that we saw today. On being picked up by the tour bus at 9:30 this morning, the guide quickly talked us into an itinerary upgrade. We had originally booked a trip that would take us half way up the mountain but thankfully we listened to his advice...(he being a young kid from Thailand living in Zurich....) and paid the extra francs...(Switzerland like the UK being a Euro holdout).

The journey to the mountain was spectacular, the first hour being on a coach with a brief stopover in Interlaken. Shortly thereafter we transferred to first one train and then another with 4 or 5 stops along the way and the opportunity to get off for a few minutes and enjoy the panoramic view. The last portion of the jouney was a 7 kilometre trip through what seemed like an almost vertical climb in a tunnel before arriving at Europe's highest train station Jungfraujoch, 11,000 feet above sea level. The thin air was very noticeable and for the first 5 minutes we were light headed and a bit shaky. There is a whole complex build at that level, with an Ice Palace carved out of the glazier, observation decks, movie theatre, restaurants, gifts shops etc.. We even went outside and walked a bit in the snow. The weather was spectacular, sunny and warm even at that elevation. We spent 2 hours at the top of the mountain and then retraced our journey. I don't ever recall seeing such wonderful scenery...around every corner there were new, awe inspiring lakes, mountains, cows with bells on and chalets. We took between us about 100 pictures...lots will be deleted but there are some real keepers among them and I'll post 3 or 4 after supper.

Hello everyone its me.....Una....Switzerland truly is a beautiful country... none of the pictures do it justice. What a perfect day. On our first stopover in Interlaken we bought a few post cards for Dad, Uncle Tom & the grandkids & sat at an outdoor cafe enjoying the wonderful view & fantastic cappuccino. As we were sitting there at least half a dozen skydivers landing in the park in front of us... what a wonderful sight, mountains, blue sky, gorgeous flowers & wonderful green grass. The journey up the mountain was great until we got inside the dark tunnel going up the inside of the mountain. That part lasted about 20 minutes & I have to say I was a wee bit claustrophobic. Inside my head I was shouting for my Mummy and Daddy!! but anyway the journey was worth it, (guess I was in a cave on top of a mountain, something I've always wanted to do..... my sisters know what I'm talking about ha ha...) We stood in snow today, but honest the weather was warm. We wore our red jackets only up at the top, otherwise it was short sleeves all round. The town of Lucerne is lovely, situated at the foot of many spectacular mountains. Our hotel is right on the river which runs directly into the lake. We can hear the clock chiming from our room, which is lovely however at the moment sprinkled with all our laundry trying to get dry ready for the morning. There is a whole story about my khaki pants which "must be told"  however I don't have all night, so will leave it till I get home.....anyway we are now off to "Starbucks".. (Brian's new Pub) he needs to do something with the Blog.

Cheers...talk to you from Salzburg Austria, our next stop.


P.S. Just read yesterday's comments...loved them...keep them coming....By the way the suitcase arrived a couple of hours before we left for the airport.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's all this about the suitcase?
Was it the green one from Rik's?Has it lived up to your expectations?
Glad to see Una in pic and print!!
Lucky bitch being in a cave.........wish I was there.
Make use of the ice and put it in your drinks.
Keep the stories coming.
Mags and Diane

Anonymous said...

Keep this quality of reporting up and you'll be able to pay for your trip by selling your Blog to the Travel Section of the Globe and Mail.

I admire your stamina - as I said before, I'd be having a good meal and heading for bed instead of writing up my day and heading for starbucks.

Thanks!!!

PS Thanks for settling the mystery of 'The Case of the Green Case'.

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle B and Auntie Una,

The pictures are fantastic!
I am pleased to see that your in some of these pictures and auntie una, you don't have to worry about your chin, no turkey in sight! You both seem to be having the time of your life. May it continue!

Love u both V. Much laura XXXX

Anonymous said...

Who is suitcase........Of course you can come Mags and diane, but I have not seen a single red light for sale here either.
Peter

Anonymous said...

Starbucks is your new Pub??? I think that Swiss air must be getting to you a bit. You are in Switzerland, get out of the American Coffee shop and find a Swiss Chalet, their chicken and fries are excellent, not to mention their dipping sauce.

Anonymous said...

Dear suitcase...there is no reason for you to be nervous and don't worry about Una...she won't go near anything that doesn't have wheels.

I've seen your face light up when I play with your zipper and you never seem to object no matter how much I stuff in your several orifices. I sense we are starting to get along although you do get on my back every now and then.

Anonymous said...

Hi,T&C here,
Hope you can keep up the pace,you are both covering a lot of ground,the pitures are great, especialy the ones of the Alps in Switzerland,we flew over them on our way from Italy to France but did'nt get the lightheaded feeling,surely you meant the Friday
Night feeling!By the way i did'nt
win the Seniors tournament,all i got
was a soaking.Glad you're getting along O.K.with the bag,no pun intended.Love to Una from both of us.
P.S. Cathie will be on edge waiting
to hear about the Khaki pants.